Thursday, June 25, 2015

No-Knead Bread with Seasalt and Sesame Seeds

There cannot be an easier bread than this. You mix up the dough, let it rise, shape it into loaves and then bake.  Because you do not knead the dough, the consistency of this bread is chewy, with airy big holes like a ciabatta rather than evenly grained.  The yogurt, salt and honey make the bread more flavorful, without being overpowering. Unlike some homemade bread, it also tastes great the next day, perhaps in the French manner spread thickly with butter and a slice of ham.

2 loaves


25 grams fresh yeast
4 dl water
1 dl filmjölk, buttermilk or yogurt
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
10 to 12 deciliters flour
Flaked sea-salt and Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top.

In a large bowl, pour in the water, which you have run from the tap
Crumbled yeast and water
to feel warm but not hot with your fingers.  If the water is too hot, it will kill your yeast.  Crumble in the yeast and stir until the yeast is dissolved.  Add in the filmjölk, salt, and honey. Stir to combine.
Add the flour, a bit at a time until the dough starts to form a
Adding the flour
ball. Give it a good stir to make sure that all the flour is well mixed in. The dough will still be quite loose and sticky, so don’t worry.  Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let stand in a warm and draft-free place for 1 ½ to 2 hours.  The dough should more than
Finished dough
double.

Pre-heat an oven to 225 degrees C.  Pour the dough out onto a well floured board or smooth counter-top.  Divide the dough into two pieces.  Lay each piece onto a baking sheet covered with parchment
Let it rest with a cloth over
or baking paper.  Don’t worry if the pieces are knobbly and funny looking, they will look charming when baked.  Brush some water over the top of each loaf and sprinkle with sea-salt and sesame seeds.  You could also substitute chopped nuts, caraway seeds,
More than doubled in size
or poppy seeds for the sesame.  You do not need to let the bread rise a second time; it will rise further in the oven.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 to 20
Loaf ready for baking
minutes until nicely golden on top.  Take out and let cool.
The finished bread!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've now made this bread a few times, and everyone loves it! My husband doesn't like sesame seeds, so (after the first loaves) I substituted sunflower seeds, which were yummy. The only thing I found that didn't work for me was the time--maybe it's my oven, but the loaves took 25-30 minutes to bake fully. Overall, though, this is great!!! I make a lot of bread, and this is my new go-to for a loaf when I need one in a (relative) hurry. I like your blog and will be trying some more of your recipes. I might even try my hand at sourdough...

LL Fredell said...

I am so happy to hear that Medi! Yes, the oven time will vary depending on your oven and how big you make your loaves.

I am having mixed luck with the sourdough. I get good flavor and a good crust but I have been having a hard time getting the rise I would like. Not sure what my problem is yet but I just bought a new bread cookbook so hopefully there will be some answers there.